Sunday, June 26, 2011

New for the Cooperage, Yard Sale and Flea Market Happies!

Well, I was feeling crafty the other evening.  Not enough to make my own creations, but enough to put together some inspiration kits for other artists to use for their own creations.  I put together generous collections of old paper items from varying sources that I've collected over time and they are now for sale at the Cooperage.  Here's a peek:

Each has items such as pages from a 1918 ledger; pages from and 1940's rent log; pages from multiple old dictionaries, atlases, and encyclopedias; old air mail; vintage magazine ads; recipes and illustrations from vintage cook books and more.



To test the waters, I put together four kits and priced them at $8.00 each, which I think is pretty fair.  I'd buy them!

So creativity aside, I had hoped to hit a couple yard sales Saturday morning, but life got really in the way as it sometimes can, and plans changed.  I did, however, stumble upon a yard sale on the way home from an outing on Saturday morning and picked up a couple of worthwhile finds.


This little creation was free at the yard sale. (My kind of sale!!)  Looks like long ago, two nightstands were melded into one drawer unit.  I'll give it a new top, a piece of moulding down the center gap, a distressed paint job and new hardware, and off it will go to the next Market in July.

The little brass stencil set is nearly complete (missing only the "I"), the little dessert glass is etched with little stars and it one of 10 (I already washed and packed the others at the time of this pic), and the domino set is really, really nice.  It is old, from the 50's, I think and the dots are carved in and there is a raised gold bead at the center of each one.  I also suspect, they may be ivory as they are cool to the touch, heavy and very silky smooth.  Not quite sure how to find out though.  Probably should before I sell them, since it will no doubt effect the price.


Next is the Sunday morning flea market in Hollis, NH.  I tried to go early, but my body declined the early rousing and I didn't get there till 7:15 again.  I've no doubt that the dealers had already snagged the best stuff coming off the trucks an hour before, but I am quite content with my small haul of happy treasure (as always, some to sell and some to keep).  Hey, this way I avoid all the eager early commotion and don't have to have regrets about what I missed out on, since I'm not there to see what I'm missing.  I guess it's a win-win.

So I got a vintage wooden ironing board, early 1900's rolling and collapsible baby bed (great for quilt displays), a small table to paint, a thermos, a vintage garden claw, yard stick, three different style vintage custard cups, vintage covered min loaf pan, a wooden cigar box, a set of brass numeral tags, a vintage child's game, vintage Dick and Jane style unused workbook from the 40's, vintage lotto cards, vintage bingo calling chips, two vintage glass canisters, small glass serving plate, vintage doily, great green and black enamel pot (went into my kitchen tonight to act as an ice bucket to keep juice boxes cold for tonight's company for dinner), some totally fantastic paper vintage paper plates from the 40"s (I happen to have a matching, unused paper tablecloth that matched them from an estate sale a couple years back), a wooden silverware tray, some mini clamps, a small cup sized sifter, and finally, 5 opalescent dessert dishes.


The cigar box is really neat.  It has a little locking clasp on it that slides opened and closed.
I love the little brass numeral tags.  Wonder what they were from.


Aren't the plates pretty?  There's probably about 25 or so.  Two of the stacks are unopened in original labeled cellophane wraps.  Sweet!



This is one of my favorite pages from the workbook.  I love the dogs!!

So that's my weekend's treasures in a nutshell, allbeit a very detailed nutshell!!  Hope your weekend had happy surprises too.  If the weather cooperates better this week than last, I'll have lots of painting projects to report on to you over the next few days.  Wish me luck!


No comments: