Monday, November 28, 2011

Firewood Box

Here is a super quick, one photo peek at a recent project.  It has been a while since I broke out the big power tools and did a wood working project.  I wanted a box for my firewood by the side of the wood stove in the living room.  Couldn't find a vintage one that was both the right size, sturdy enough and the right price.  So what to do?  I built myself one, that's what!  I had a bunch of old tongue and groove boards from an old carriage house my husband's coworker redid a while back.  I have used them for a bunch of other projects over the years and had enough still on hand for this one.  The best part?  From start to finish it only took two hours and I think it turned out great; just the way I had envisioned.


The wood inside the box at the corners is also from the same barn, but because it sports fresh saw blade cuts, it revealed its unweathered light color.  It will get beat up with a season of firewood passing through it and after leaving it outside next summer when it is not in use, it should all weather to a nice warm color.  I added the number on the side in honor of the old horse stalls in the original carriage house.  Hopefully, I'm not being too boastful, but I am quite pleased with myself.  And it was quite a refreshingly good feeling to make something for myself again without the burden of wondering if other people would like it, what to price it at and if it will sell at my spot.  Simply, a happy and productive afternoon. 

No comments: