Tuesday, January 10, 2012

More Progress and a Vintage Postcard Display

Progress continues in my house.  The door folks arrived yesterday and began replacing some aged, drafty doors and replacing one door with window instead.  Wow, does that ever change the feel of my living room.  Such small changes can add up to a grand change it seems.   A couple photos to give you the idea:



While the workers were busy with saws and hammers, I decided to take a break from the painting and do a little creative decorating.  Got out my own saw and hammer and drill and took on a new small project  Here's a peek at what I've been up to.


I picked up this old expandable child gate at the last estate sale.  Wasn't sure what I would do with it, but figured it would be good for something different.


I cut it into two identical sections and discarded the rest.  


I then pre-drilled holes, and screwed on mini paper pincher clips.  (Not sure what the official name for these little ditties is.)


I was then able to safely (without permanent mark or damage) attach part of my collection of vintage state souvenir postcards from the 40's and 50's.  Love them!

I hung one on either side of a new display I hung over the bench in it's new home along the newly built wall that separates the family room from the kitchen.  The bench previously lived in the entryway (also undergoing a cosmetic makeover) where I had custom built it as my first big woodworking project 14 years ago.  It will need a few modifications for it's new home, but for now that is a low priority.








I hung the display a little higher than I normally would to account for folks sitting on the bench to put on their shoes  (Happily, it works out the the bench partly covers a heat register so the shoes on the shelf are warm and toasty when put on.  Ahh..).


It feels so good to have been able to create and focus on decorating for a bit.  The slate for tomorrow?  Cleaning my bedroom carpet and baking cupcakes for my daughter's birthday.  Eighteen years old tomorrow!!!!  How did that happen already??

Thanks for stopping by.




2 comments:

Kris Vogelsang said...

It's really coming along!!! Happy Birthday to Kayleigh!

Modern Donna said...

Wow how exciting! You are going to feel like it's a new house. LOVE the displays, such a great idea!